The 14th Vietnam M&A Forum 2022 with the theme “Igniting new opportunities” organized by the Vietnam Investment Review Newspaper, under the auspices of the Ministry of Planning and Investment took place in Ho Chi Minh City. This is the largest M&A event in Vietnam in 2023, bringing together the most prestigious and experienced guests and speakers in Vietnam and the world. The forum has honored the 10 best M&A deals in Vietnam of the year 2021-2022, including deals:
- UOB Bank (Singapore) acquired the entire retail banking segment of Citigroup in Vietnam. This is part of Citigroup’s $3.7 billion deal to sell its retail business to UOB in four Southeast Asian countries (including Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Vietnam).
- Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group (Japan) bought 49% of VPBank shares at FE Credit. This M&A deal is worth up to $1.4 billion, demonstrating the fact that the banking and financial sector in Vietnam has been taken into account by leading international companies and corporations.
- The Sherpa Co., Ltd (belonging to Masan Group) acquired 85% of Phuc Long Heritage. This M&A deal, worth $280 million, is considered one of the highest-value deals in the F&B (Food&Beverage) segment.
- Thaco acquired the Korean E-Mart supermarket in Vietnam. This M&A deal marks the expansion of THACO Group’s operating ecosystem into the retail business.
- CVC Capital Partners bought 60% of shares in Phuong Chau Group (the investor of Phuong Chau International Hospital chain in Can Tho, Sa Dec – Dong Thap and Soc Trang). This deal is one of two major M&A deals in the healthcare sector in 2021. Notably, this M&A deal was carried out at a time when the Covid-19 epidemic in Vietnam was still complicated, making all procedures must be completed. done online.
- Shinhan Group (Korea) bought 10% of Tiki Global, worth $88 million, became a strategic shareholder of Tiki Global, and indirectly held capital in TiKi Co., Ltd. With a 10% holding in Tiki, Shinhan Group is the 3rd largest shareholder in Tiki Global Pte., Ltd.
- The demerger of Dau Tieng Tay Ninh Energy JSC (DTE), B.Grimm Power Public Company Limited (B.Grimm – Thailand) and Xuan Cau Group in Dau Tieng Tay Ninh 1 Project.
- The transaction of Binh Duong Trading and Development Joint Stock Company (TDC) transferred the Ngan Ha Commercial Housing project (Uni Galaxy) to Gamuda Land (HCMC) of Malaysia.
- Novaland received $250 million from an investment fund led by Warburg Pincus. This deal has contributed to solving all capital problems for Novaland Group to implement real estate projects.
- Vietnam Chemical Group (Vinachem) divested all state capital in Duc Giang Chemical Group Joint Stock Company (DGC). This is a deal that the State has divested all of its capital at a very high price.
In particular, the Enterprise with an outstanding M&A strategy in 2021 – 2022 was awarded to Masan Group Joint Stock Company because, in the period of 2021 – 2022, Masan Group has made more than 10 investments and M&A deals.
Along with the award for the best M&A deals in Vietnam, there was an award ceremony for 12 M&A advisory and law firms with the award “The best M&A advisory firms in the 2021-2022”.